Tuesday, June 17, 2008

FAQ's

(Tyler showing Daddy where the baby is)

I suppose it's time to answer a few questions about the little surprise I dropped in my last post. Thanks to all of you for your excitement and well wishes.



*Our due date is November 13th (that means as of now, I'm about 19 weeks), but I'm convinced this kiddo is coming two weeks early on Halloween simply because we found out we were pregnant on April Fool's Day and found out the gender on Friday the 13th, so I figure this kid has a bit of a sense of humor.



*No this was absolutely NOT a planned pregnancy. C'mon, after 5 failed IUI attempts we had kinda given up on this possibility. I've been on birth control for the past three years to help control my PCOS and endometriosis, but simply forgot to refill my prescription. GO FIGURE!



*To say the least, we were a little surprised to find out we were expecting. I didn't even suspect it for a couple of months. I mean seriously, I thought I was more likely to get malaria than get pregnant.



*I've really been feeling okay. Since I was clueless for most of the first trimester, I didn't notice much difference. Now the fatigue, heartburn, headaches, and backaches have set in, but by golly, you won't hear me complaining about it. If I recall, at one point in my life I did bargain, beg and plead with the Lord to grant me this experience.



*Our adoption profile has been pulled (LDSFS policy). There was a lot of emotional distress when this occurred, but I'll explain that another time. We are on temporary hold until the baby is born- at which point our profile will be permanently pulled. We can reapply in one year. Don't ask what we plan to do at that point- we're taking this one baby at a time.



*I'm terribly sorry about keeping this under the rug for so long. Over the years we've learned to stay quite guarded with our emotions and part of that is keeping things to ourselves. Infertility attempts fail, miscarriages happen, and adoptions fall through and having experienced all of those, we've learned to protect our hearts. In fact, for the first several weeks, we didn't tell family, and we didn't even talk about it to each other. We pretty much ignored it- that kept us feeling "safe." I know, you'd think I would have been thrilled, but at first I wanted to ignore it, then I was terrified, then fear turned to confusion. It took a while for us to arrive at the "we're excited about this" stage. And I didn't want to tell people until we felt excited.



*And yes, you are all right, Tyler will make a FABULOUS big brother. We told him on Friday after the ultrasound. It was such a sweet moment for our family. His reaction will forever stay in my mind. His face lit up and he said, "I'm going to be a good big brother." I agreed, of course. Then we showed him the pictures that the doctor took of the baby growing in mommy's tummy. He looked at me, wrinkled his nose and accusingly said, "Mommy, did you eat a baby?" I suppose the details are still a little fuzzy! Just today, he very tenderly patted my tummy and said, "There's a baby in your tummy, Mommy." Then he continued playing with his toys and came back a few minutes later and pried my mouth open with his little hands and literally tried to stick his head in my mouth- TWICE. When I pulled away and asked what he was doing, he replied, "I want to see the baby! I'm going to go get him." I couldn't even respond I was laughing so hard.



Well, there you have it. Thanks again, everyone for sharing in our joy! And all I can say is, isn't life interesting?


19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh...SO sweet!!!

We told Cody that he could talk to Honor through my belly button hole...he would sit there singing into my belly button.

Then, because it worked so well with Cody we did the same thing to Honor and she would literally yell to Adam through my belly button.

The cool part? I remember Cody walking into the room to see Honor on the day she was born. The minute he spoke, she actually turned her head to him! It gave us chills...she totally knew him!

Thanks for this post with all the details...I was so curious. You must have been so shocked when you took a pregnancy test!

Arlene said...

I love Tyler! He's brilliant! You look great, happy, and I can't wait to watch your baby bump grow.

(Yes, you may have a tour of my house - does that mean you are on the way up here soon?!?!)

barterboutique said...

Thanks for all the answers to our Q's! I'm so happy for you! This is probably the best surprise I've heard in months!

jenhatch said...

I was totally crying (at Tyler's sweetness) then busting out laughing with (Tyler's humor) tha last paragraph. SO cute, and SO Tyler!

And I've said it before, and I'll say it again... this miracle baby couldn't come to two more loving and more deserving people.

Emily said...

Carrie, this is just crazy! I am so happy for you guys. Tyler could NOT be cuter! I wanna hang out with him so he can make me laugh like that! You guys deserve this more than anyone I know. Congratulations again.

Becker Family said...

Carrie,
I just finished reading your story about little Tyler and his adoption. I wanted to cry! What a sweet family you have and I'm so happy for you! To find out you are pregnant is such a blessing! I am so excited for you and wish you the best. Your attitude and love makes me more grateful for my children. You are truly an inspiration! I wish you the best and look forward to reading more on your blog!
Much love,
Beckee

Emily said...

by the way, cute shirt.

Anonymous said...

Hi Carrie,

This is Valerie H. from Ricks. I found the link to your blog through Lori's. Congratulations to you, John, and Tyler and best of luck! If you would like to catch up you can email me at: vledge2@hotmail.com.

Take Care, Valerie

Danalin said...

LOVE IT! Love the picture (you are lookin' beautiful!), the stories, the details...your little family is so deserving of another tiny, wonderful person. I'm excited that you get to experience pregnancy - I LOVE being pregnant. But no matter how these babies come to the two of you, you are the best, most loving parents. I'm so glad that another child gets to benefit from all of that love! Such a miracle.

Hollie said...

Oh Carrie, I'm crying tears of joy for you right now. That is the best news, and your halfway through! It only gets better and better.

Unknown said...

OH my HECK! I'm so incredibly tickled pink for you. I heard you talking about feeling a little sick at the pool and suspected but just now got on. How exciting. Isn't life so crazy and ironic and wild and just....COOL??

Anonymous said...

Hey Carrie, It's Janaan {Jenkins} Weaver, from the ol' 17th ward. I've enjoyed reading your blog and seeing what you're up to. Congratulations on the baby! We (the Jenkins fam) are all so happy for you.

Karrie said...

Carrie,
I am so excited for you and your husband. I would love to talk with you. Email me if you get a chance. Congratulations and I wish you all the best.

Karrie (Tesch) Schiebel
teschy_2000@yahoo.com

Mike and Heidi said...

Congratulations again Carrie! I am due just a few days before you and we just found out that we are having a girl. Wish we could be pregnant together:)

Lori said...

WOW!! That is so awesome!! Congrats. This is such great news. Brycen and I are so happy for you!

Sister Murri said...

Sister Carson,
Sorry for "blog-stalking" you guys! I am so excited for both of you!!! Hey, When are you guys going to go out again so I can come and watch Tyler??

Laura said...

Carrie! I am so glad I finally found your blog to see what you had posted. What a surprise! We are so excited for your family! When I saw you on Sunday, I actually suspected you might be pregnant and I am just THRILLED to find out that you are! Tyler will be such a helpful brother. Yeah! You know you can call me anytime for babysitting Tyler for those doctor appointments. You did it PLENTY for me!

Mostly Jessica said...

Wow that is really crazy! Life is so unexpected. I read your blog once in a while and I'm really happy to hear this news about your family. It sounds like Tyler is one funny kid! He'll be a good brother :)

jillian said...

I am so excited to find out you are expecting and that you have a blog too!!!!!!!!!!I am grinning from ear to ear!!!! you are more than welcome to check in on us, mostly because I will be doing the same!!! so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :<)