Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Autumn

We've been blessed with some truly beautiful weather over that past couple of days. It's much cooler and the evenings are crisp and chili. I love it, but I have to say that it is this time of year that I really miss autumn bike rides in Utah and gorgeous fall days in New York. I was reading my friend's blog who still lives in New York. It made me yearn for beautiful fall foliage and crave yummy apple cider doughnuts. Seriously delish. If anyone finds any here in Texas, please let me know.

Our apartment in New York (Albany area) was less than a couple miles from several small farms, most of which had a quaint country store associated with it. There were dozens of apple orchards and pumpkin patches to choose from and we enjoyed sampling each of their apple cider doughnuts. It was just too easy to run out on a cold, autumn Saturday morning to one of our favorite local farms to pick up a few warm doughnuts along with a couple cups of fresh apple cider. Oh they are sooooo good! I'll never forget Tyler's first experience with the delicious dessert. I was one of those crazy moms who didn't want my child eating french fries and sweets, but I couldn't resist sharing this culinary delight with him. He was about 9 months old and we gave him a small morsel of the sugary good stuff. His eyes bulged out and he flapped his arms, grunting for more. We gave him a bit more and then tried to hide the bag with the rest of our doughnuts. We couldn't fool him. Every time he caught a glimpse of the white bag he'd squeal with delight and grunt for more. He was focused and fixed on that bag and nothing in the world could distract him. It was hilarious and oddly enough, some things never change.

Here are a few of my favorite pictures of some of our fall outings that year.


These pictures make me laugh at the Texas attempt at a pumpkin patch with it's evenly spaced rows of pumpkins laid out on some grassy field, bounce houses, and wooden cut-outs of popular cartoon characters all while pushy moms chase around their children dressed in matching Halloween or autumn outfits trying to get "the perfect shot." Oh and it's usually blasted hot and the kids are more about climbing and playing and not so much into posing for their photo opp. That doesn't mean we won't be going to the pumpkin patch (check back in after Friday) it just means all the while I'm there, I miss the quaint, beautiful lifestyle we enjoyed in lovely New York. Oh and I miss this adorably kissable baby boy! Who said he could grow up so fast?

3 comments:

Emily said...

he looks EXACTLY the same. how crazy is that? my friend lives in new york and just recently posted about those donuts, how weird.

Jaimi said...

Carrie, you look so preppy with your sweater tied around your shoulders. Who knew?(:

Those pictures are adorable. I feel your pain on the lack of seasons and pumpkin patches.

monica said...

Hi Carrie,
I was on Lori's Blog when I came across your name as a link on her blog. Lori and I were friends back at school (BYU-I).
When I saw your name and went to your blog, I couldn't help but smile. Where did we know each other? BYU was it? in the Eled program?
Anyway, congradulations to you on your 2nd boy. We love boys also!
Sincerely, Monica