Wednesday, March 18, 2009

He'll bless the rains down in Africa...

...gonna take some time to do the things he never had.
(bet you now have t
hat sweet Toto song stuck in your head, huh?)




Well, I just got back from a trip to Utah to see my little brother Spencer return home from his mission in Mozambique, Africa. It was so incredibly good to see him. I am so proud of the service he gave and for the changes he's helped bring about in so many people. Cool to think that there are a few villages in Africa that are better off because of the service my little bro offered. I wish I could share all of his stories, pictures and some sweet videos of the people there. Amazing. My goodness, aren't missions miraculous? I suppose the fact that he survived living two years in a place like Mozambique is miracle in and of itself (I most likely would not have survived).

I am so glad that I was able to make it to his homecoming and to spend some time with him. I loved hearing about what it was like there and about the people he taught. I love that the gospel changes lives...everywhere.

I was also lucky to spend some time with my entire family. All of my siblings were in town for the big event. We haven't been all together in over five years. I had to leave John and Tyler here in Texas, so it was just me and Robby, but I think it was actually better and less stressful that way. I could sit back and enjoy the chaos. I loved chatting and laughing with my siblings and I enjoyed watching the vortex of activity as the cousins played together. I should mention that there are 10 grand kids on my side of the family...9 are boys- need I say more?

I'm glad to be home with my boys here, but I sure do wish I could see my family more often. I suppose I'll just have to cherish and savor the memories we made together. It was fantastic!

Welcome home, Spencer! We're glad to have you back!!!

6 comments:

Hailey Vial said...

What an awesome mission, congrats to Spence. Last time I saw him, he was a little guy in primary. Wow, what a handsome fella he's grown up to be. You have an amazing family!

Emily said...

WOW, so cool. Being at the airport when my siblings walked off their planes are some of my favorite memories ever. I'm so glad you got to be there with your family! And I can imagine the chaos with all those boys. We have the same problem in my family.

Arlene said...

WOW! I can't believe he's home already!! I can't wait to go to Africa with Carl.

Again...so close...and yet so far! We've got a record going. Between CO, TX, and UT! :(

Kristi said...

I have no doubt that he was an incredible missionary! I just have a hard time believing that he is old enough to be an RM. Holy Moly!! Now I feel old. I'm glad you got to spend some time with your family. I just love your family!

Mandy said...

Yeah Spenc!!!
WOW!! I can't believe he is home already. How fun! I'm glad you got to go and all of you guys got to spend time together. Wish I was there :) That's SO awesome! Now.... who can we set him up with??? :) I'm sure your mom isn't ready for that :)
Anyway, SO COOL I'm glad you all had a great time together. LOVE LOVE LOVE all of your family!!

Laura said...

So that's where you ran off to! Congrats on your brother returning home. Glad you could be there for te homecoming.