Oh dear. So Tyler's preschool is like most preschools in the area in that it is a church preschool. This particular church (of course not of my faith) is kind of a non-denominational church that draws crowds with it's strong youth programs, it's dynamic preacher, and it probably has a cool band or something to entertain during Sunday sermons- pretty typical for this area. I really have no problem with my child being exposed to religious diversity. I like it, and it's one of the things I like about living outside of Utah. I wasn't worried about Tyler being taught questionable doctrine because most of what they teach is about love, God, and Bible stories- no problem there.
However, recently we have had a little issue come up in our daily prayers. At the preschool, they start each day with prayer- the same prayer every day from what I can gather. Tyler has since started reciting his favorite parts of this prayer each time he prays at home. I struggled with this because I don't particularly have any problems with what he's saying and I don't want him to think it's wrong, but I also don't want him to get used to repeating the same prayer over and over again.
Well, as luck would have it (although of course it has nothing to do with luck), we had very recently read about the Zoramites in the Book of Mormon, so I reminded Tyler that we don't want to pray like the Zoramites. We want our prayers to be different each time and we want to think about actually talking with Heavenly Father. We discussed how it would be fine if he said some of the things he recently learned in preschool as long as he didn't include them in EVERY prayer. So that night, his prayer went something like this:
"Heavenly Father, Please help us not to pray like the Zoramites. Amen."
Okay, fair enough. Well, here we are a few weeks later and we are still struggling with Tyler's repetitive prayer, which I might say is very sweet, but I still want him to understand the sacredness of communicating with Deity. So we talked again about trying to pray about things that are really important to us. I tried to help him think of some specific things he could ask for and blessings he could thank Heavenly Father for. Well, that night before bed we read a Halloween bedtime story, read scriptures, and then had prayers. His prayer then went something like this:
"Heavenly Father, please bless me to get a lot of candy on Halloween. Amen."
I think we might be getting somewhere. How about you?

4 comments:
My big kids still say the same basic prayers most of the time. Every now and then they get really creative and blow us away but I think kids have simple needs. They sure repeat the same stuff to us over and over. I have tried to just keep reminding and prodding and hope they get it. Although I might have to use Halloween as a new source of material. That Tyler. What a cutie!
Love it! At least he prays. Isaac is fully five and still refuses. He's gonna be a DOOZY of a teenager.
he IS his mother's son! Praying for more candy - I buy it. Way to really work with him on prayers. Luckily, Ava hasn't resorted to the preschool prayer yet. Though we do still prompt her of what to say every now and then.
awesome. We were talking about the liahona in family home evening tonight and we showed the kids a picture of it and asked them if they knew what it was. Blake yelled out the Oklahoma!
Post a Comment