Saturday, May 22, 2010

Introducing...


the OmniPod and Dexcom 7

In an attempt to help us manage Robby's diabetes better, we have added two new devices to our tool box. Really though, I feel like all we've added is extra stress, but we're hoping that with a little time and experience, these tools will help us out.


On Tuesday we received our Dexcom 7, a continuous glucose monitor (CGM). It is a device that does just that- it continuously monitors Robby's glucose levels. It's a little bit tricky getting used to how best to analyze the data you receive from it, it's not extremely accurate, and it does not alleviate the need to still do finger pokes for actual blood glucose levels. Having said that, I still ADORE this thing. We did a seven day trial, and afterward told the reps we wanted them to overnight our own device. It's that good, people. In fact, when it arrived, I almost hugged the UPS man.


This is what the receiver looks like. Robby has to be within 5-10 feet or so or it will not pick up the signal. This means that most of the time, this little monitor is attached to his belt or pants. That part I hate, but he's getting used to it, and it's well worth the peace of mind that it gives me.
And this is the sensor and transmitter that read the glucose levels in the interstitial fluids under his skin. It attaches to his leg with adhesive and has a small probe (about the size of three hairs) that inserts under the skin and then send the info to the handheld receiver device.


The reason why we love this thing so much is not because it will tell us exactly where his BG is at any given moment (although, it does do a good job of giving a ballpark number of where he's at), but because it does a number of other things. It will show trends and will alert if the trend is falling or rising and will indicate at what rate he is rising or falling (so if I know he's at 120 and falling at a fast rate, I know I need to get some sugar in him within the next 10 minutes). It will graph all of the data points and show them on the monitor (invaluable for analyzing what's going on with his BG as we try to fine tune his pump), and best of all, it will alert if Robby reaches a pre-set high and a preset low. Robby's BG at night is incredibly unstable. We have had to check him almost every other hour to make sure he doesn't drop low. We sleep so much better knowing that this little device will sound an alarm if he starts to drop and it will alarm if he ever reaches a low. We love the peace of mind that this thing has given us. Like I say, it's not perfect, and it comes with it's own set of hassles and problems, but we feel overall that it is well worth it.

The second device we added to our arsenal against diabetes this week is the OmniPod.
Ta-da!


This little thing is Robby's insulin pump. I know, not exactly what you imagine when you think of insulin pumps. We chose this thing for a number of reasons; it's small, it's waterproof and disposable (the pod is replaced every 2-3 days), he doesn't have to carry around the pump/monitor device, and most of all, it doesn't have any tubing. He's 18 months...can you imagine what he would do with tubing attached to his body!?!
Here's how it works:
I fill this little pod with insulin, attach it to his leg with the adhesive sticker, and that's it (almost). Everything else is done remotely. I set the site with the press of a button- meaning that to get the little cannula that inserts under the skin and remains there in order to deliver the insulin, all I have to do is push a button. I also deliver insulin with the press of a button as well...no more shots!!!
I think in another month or two, we'll really like this thing, but for now, the learning curve is STEEP. This thing is simple to use, but getting his insulin ratios dialed in has been nothing less than a nightmare. He swings wildly all day and we are still in the trenches trying to figure out what we need to change in order to level him off. There are three insulin factors- his basil insulin, his carb ratio insulin, and his correction insulin. They are intertwined so intricately that getting the numbers right on all three is a daunting task right now. It's a good thing I'm married to an engineer.
We've been told that, for a number of reasons, most people wait a year or two before getting into a pump, but one of those reasons is because it has a pretty intense learning curve and it's almost like starting over. So we've been thrown into the world of diabetes and then buried in the world of pumping.
I'm hoping that things get a little less intense. The other day, after a particularly difficult day, John very sympathetically said to me, "I'm struggling to stay on top of all of this. I can only imagine how difficult this is for you." This is coming from a man who is two semesters away from a PhD in engineering!!! The math, the data analysis, and the problem solving skills are all way above my head right now, but I'm trying. There are times when my brain literally hurts and my head is throbbing and I look like this:
So if you ever see me and I have a blank stare on my face with my brow furrowed, please don't talk to me...I'm thinking.

Like I say, our hope is that these devices will help us better manage Robby's diabetes and help give him a more normal childhood. For now, it's difficult. Learning both devices has been a challenge, and I'm sometimes frustrated with how many things beep at me and need my attention at the same time, but let's all pray we get the hang of it soon.
Here is one last picture of our bionic baby. It does break my heart to see him all hooked up like this, but at least he's alive! And besides, he barely notices them. He hates when we put them on, but once they are on, he never notices. And it is pretty cute when you ask, "where's your nose?" and he points to his nose, "where's your mouth?" and he points to his mouth, "where's your pod?" and he points to his pod.
And who knows, maybe one day he'll grow up and be as cool as Nick Jonas from the Jonas Brothers or Joe Eldredge, a pro cyclist who rides for Team Type 1 (both totally cool OmniPod users)...I think Robby is in good company.

8 comments:

lynette said...

Isn't technology amazing!

I'm so sorry this has happened to you guys, but even though I know this is a trial for you guys, you sound so upbeat and positive! That's exactly the Carrie I know and love!

Becker Family said...

Oh, my goodness! I just got updated on everything you've been going through! What sweet boys you have and I'm so sorry Robby has been dealing with diabetes! You are so positive... Hope all continues to get better and you are able to figure everything out to make his little life more comfortable. He is a doll. Hang in there! :)

Emily said...

WOW. I can't imagine this. I'm pretty sure I would've killed my kid by now--I seriously can't do all the calculating! I am so impressed with how well you guys are handling all this, and Robby too. Most kids that little would freak out having those things on their legs. You are such a great family.

Anonymous said...

Wow! That is a lot to grasp. You are amazing & handling this great, is sounds like you are being pro-active, postive & educating yourself. You will get through this!

The Roylance Family said...

Oh my word, you are a good mom. You get serious points for taking all of this on. You are both so strong. Good luck, and way to go!

Arlene said...

Whoa... I'm glad you explained all that. It's hard to imagine what really goes on when I just saw kids at school with "stuff." Amazing. I'm glad you are a math whiz because of Investigations!

P.S. We killed all the snakes. See you soon! :)

Amanda said...

It looks like you guys are getting settled in so well! I feel your pain with the pump...we just started in April and I thought for sure I was just going to break down and cry on my first solo site change. I can't imagine adding in the CGM at the same time!

Meri said...

I'm so glad you commented on my blog so I could find you! I didn't link properly to your blog originally, and I lost you. :( I am SO excited about your pod and Dexcom. That is quite a leap both at one time! Hello, rockstar!