Thursday, August 19, 2010

Momma gets a break!

A few weeks ago my dad called and asked me if I wanted to fly out to surprise my mom for her birthday. It took me about 3 minutes to call John to clear it with him and then I started making arrangements right away. I'm sure grateful that I was able to be with my mom on her birthday. It was such a memorable trip. But I'm also grateful that my dad was able to help provide an opportunity for me to enjoy a much needed break . It was heaven and couldn't have come at a better time.


I packed my own bag- and no one else's.

My purse contained a wallet and a book and that's it! No test strips, no needles, no pdm, no extra diabetes supplies, no emergency sugary treats...NOTHING!

At meals, I had to resist the urge to poke someone's finger and count a plate of carbs.

and best of all, I SLEPT...four nights in a row! No alarm beeped at me in the middle of the night (signifying something is wrong...and happens at least once every night), I didn't have to run upstairs to give anyone juice or deliver any insulin, I didn't have to set my alarm for 15 minutes and two hours after an episode to re-check blood glucose levels, I didn't have that looming worry that something was going to go terribly wrong while I slept. It was peaceful bliss!!!


Here is a little of what I did do instead:


I went out to lunch and a movie with these lovely ladies (my two sisters and my mom)
I got to hold this tiny little peanut (Chrissy's 3 week old baby)

She is seriously the cutest little thing ever. I couldn't get enough of her. When she was born I was so bummed that I lived so far away and couldn't see my newest niece. Chrissy is a great mom and I'm so grateful that I got to see her as a first time parent in action. Amazing!

I got to go hiking one morning with this fantastic brother

The hike was amazingly beautiful, and I totally enjoyed spending time one on one with my brother...

...and it's good to know he's still a complete goofball and can totally keep me laughing.

I also got to have lunch out with these three monkeys. (these are Steph's three entertaining boys. I sure wish Tyler could spend more time with his cousins...he would have SOOOO much fun)
And of course we celebrated this lovely lady's birthday. Chrissy and Mike know how to celebrate BIG time. check out this Diet Coke cake they ordered. Yep it's a cake and it was DELISH! Nothing says love like a big Diet Coke!!!

A huge thanks to John for jumping right in and taking the boys for me. He planned fun things and took care of all their needs. I like to think they missed me, but in reality, I'm sure they had a great time (refer to previous post). Also a big thank you to Jen. She took the boys for two mornings while I was gone so that John could actually go in to work for a bit and then again so that he could get a training ride in with Shayne. She is a diabetes pro. I'll never forget how grateful I was when shortly after Robby was diagnosed she said to me, "train me when you're ready so that I can watch your boys." She is heaven sent.

And to my dad- THANK YOU! It was a wonderful trip. I loved spending time with everyone and I loved being with Mom on her birthday. The break from my regular routine was therapeutic, and I was thrilled to escape the Texas heat for several days. It was awesome.

3 comments:

Arlene said...

Goodtimes! I will stop feeling bad that you didn't come to see me. (Hmmm...Houston...mountains...how to choose!)

Becker Family said...

So glad you were able to get away! Us moms need that every once in a while... especially you with all the diabetes stuff! Glad you could come HOME!

jenhatch said...

SO glad you did it... and without Robby!! I was just grateful I could do the smallest part in making that all possible for you Lady!

{that cake was AWESOME!!}