In case you can't tell, riding bikes is kind of a big deal around this house. It's something John and I have a passion for. Cycling is something we hope our entire family will enjoy together. We have big dreams of someday riding the Oregon coast or riding across country when our kids are older. So you know how some dads are big into football and are so excited to buy their kid their first football and take them to their first football game. It's kind of that way with John and bikes. Ever since Ty was little, we've always bought him a decent bike-at least one that is the correct size for his age. Last year when Tyler turned five, we bought him a nice bike, one that could grow with him for the next three years or so. John was very excited to teach Ty to ride without training wheels, but as everyone always told us, kids tend to learn to do so at their own pace- when they feel ready for the challenge.
John was always so good and never got frustrated with Tyler's fears and inhibitions when it came to riding without the training wheels. He's been very patient and has given it a try and backed off more than a few times. Well, now that the weather is cooler and our evenings are so pleasant, we decided it was time to try again. This go around Tyler seemed more determined and excited when we talked about it. Sure enough, with only a few attempts and a few nervous falls, it finally clicked. Tyler was THRILLED...and so was his proud daddy.
I'll never forget watching him ride down the street yelling excitedly, "I'm doing it! I'm doing it!" It was fun to see him so pleased with himself.
And now he asks to ride his bike after school every day. He loves the freedom and I love watching that expression of pure childhood joy on his face. It's super sweet. The other night I was heading out for a run, but at the last minute, we decided to make it a family event. Dad and Ty road their bikes and I pushed Robby in the stroller. It was great to have Ty be able to ride for several miles and keep up (his training wheels frequently slowed him down), and I loved watching John teach Tyler about bike safety and how to ride safely on the streets with cars.
Since the start of school, we have seen Tyler grow so much. He is experiencing so many new things and has found lots of success along the way. He's learning to read, doing well in soccer, and now this. It has been neat to watch him try new things and feel successful at them. As much as I hate that he's growing up so fast, I'm still a proud mama, and I'm so happy that he feels so positively about the things he has accomplished.
(I don't know who looks happier in this video, Tyler or John)

2 comments:
Hey! You have curbs!?
That is awesome! I still remember my first time alone! I wonder, will you let the boys ride the Alpine Loop like you did? :)
Way to go, Tyler! Such a big moment...especially in your family. I loved your last post about the trip with your friend. Such fun memories. I love that you have a friend like that.
Post a Comment