Two weeks ago we took a weekend trip to Seaworld in San Antonio. It was a fantastic trip. They were having some really good deals, so we got season tickets which allowed us to spend two days at the park this trip, and then we'll go back again in the spring (our season passes will extend through next year as well).
On Thursday we checked Ty out of school, packed our bags and headed out of town. One bag in particular (or should I say Rubbermaid box) took a little more time and extra planning. This is all of the diabetes stuff I had to pack for a weekend trip. This is why we've had to hold off on air travel for a while until I can figure out how to pack all of this plus more into a carry-on. Checking this bag would be way too risky.
We got to the hotel Thursday night and got settled in. (I seriously could do this every night- listen to my two boys giggle, wrestle, and cuddle in the bed next to me. They were soooo cute!)
Then on Friday morning we did a little sightseeing before heading to the park. Seaworld doesn't open until noon in the fall, so we took the opportunity to check out the Alamo and then got the boys down for a quick nap so that they would be ready for a busy day.
I was bummed that we didn't have time to head over to the River walk, but I was glad we got a feel for downtown San Antonio- very cool city.
Once we arrived at Sea world, we enjoyed a few shows and a few rides. Since it was off-season and a Friday, the park was empty! It was so nice not to have to fight the crowds or wait in line for anything. Most of the kid play area and rides are under construction (which is why they are having some really good deals), but it was kind of nice because it took the pressure off of us to try to see and do it all. We hit all of the major shows, rode a few of the rides and then we'll come back in the spring and do all of the stuff we missed.
Tyler's favorite part was the Shamu show. He wanted to see it both Friday and Saturday and both days we sat in the very last row of the "splash zone," which was fun because we got to laugh at all the people in the rows below us who had no idea how soaked they were going to get. Ty thought it was hilarious.
This video I had to add for Steph and her kids. They lived in San Antonio a few years ago and had season tickets. Because they lived only a few miles from the park, they went all the time. I can still picture Brock dancing to this music and Peter purposely getting drenched in the splash zone. So funny. I still think it's amazing what they train these beautiful animals to do. The shows were fantastic!
And well, since any vacation for us wouldn't be complete without a little of this, I had to add a picture. I must say, I felt like things went WAY more smoothly than I anticipated. I didn't know what to expect as far as Robby's BG...would he go high from all of the excitement and heavy carb foods (not to mention a breakfast buffet at the hotel complete with waffles, bagels, muffins and fruit) or would spend the day low from all of the playing and running around? We were pretty much prepared for the worst- an unexpected pod change with a run-away high, a dysfunctional CGM with no data, a crashing low blood sugar- and you know what, it never happened. Whew!

3 comments:
What an awesome vacation! And how great is that, that the big D behaved! The video of your little guy watching the dolphins was priceless. I so need a vacation. I think I'll throw the idea out to my husband this weekend. :)
Ooooh, that looks so fun! My sister served her mission to San Antonio and I've always wanted to visit. I love the picture of your boys in the bed, too cute.
"Shamu! Shamu!" We still do the arm/splash sign while chanting "Shamu! Shamu!" Makes us laugh everytime.
Speaking of long hair--ooh la, la!
Post a Comment