One of these conversations occurred while we were watching the movie Up. Overall, I thought the movie was all right, but not my favorite Pixar movie. However, the beginning scenes of the movie where Ellie and Carl's story begins is so tender and with such raw emotions, it's hard not to fall in love with these characters.

When we got to the scene where they are shown at the doctor's office and Ellie is sobbing with Carl tenderly comforting her. Tyler looked at me and asked,
"Why is she crying, mom?"
"Why is she crying, mom?"
I choked back the tears and explained that the doctor was probably explaining to Ellie that her tummy was broken and she couldn't have babies in her tummy. This concept is obviously not a new one for Tyler.
Then Tyler, with as much compassion and sympathy as any four year old can have, replied,
"They should have a birth mom help them."
I was so touched by his response. To him the solution to their problem was so simple and clear. He was confident that families can be formed in many different ways- that some babies come to their families through a birth mom. It has been interesting to see Tyler's understanding of adoption develop and grow. I'm so pleased that he feels so positively about it and I pray that he always will.

5 comments:
I love that opening scene and I love his reponse to your answer! I love those precious moments of understanding and love.
I bawled at that part in the movie--right in the movie theater!--and just now, all over again. I love that he said that. He is the sweetest boy ever.
I love those opening scenes, too! (By far the best part!)
I think this just goes as a testimony to you of what a wonderful mom you are and how well you have done explaining things to Tyler. What a mature understanding for a cute little guy!
Tyler is such a sweet little boy.
what a tender moment... you are doing pretty alright raising him with responses like that!! What a sweetheart! I'll take him as my son-in-law anyday! ;)
Post a Comment