(as another fun St. Patrick's Day activity, John took Tyler to the store and came home with Lucky Charms for dessert. We thought it was hilarious that even though Robby had never tasted the stuff, he instinctively knew that the sugary, colorful pieces were way better than the brown crunchy pieces. His high chair tray was left with all the cereal pieces and he kept begging for more.)
On a side note, here is another activity from my teaching days that we have incorporated into our family traditions. It's a Valentine's activity. We did this both last year and this year enjoyed it so much we plan to do it every year. When I was teaching, I gave each student a sealed envelope with a letter and a heart that was cut into five pieces. I gave the instructions that the students were not to open the letter and asked the parents to keep the activity secret. I asked them to write something that they love about their child or something that their child does to make them proud on each piece of the heart. During the week of Valentine's Day I would read one of the pieces of the heart for every child and then had them glue it into place. I loved how their faces beamed when I read each of their pieces. It was one of my very favorite activities as a teacher. It seemed only natural to adapt this activity for our family. Each night we would take turns writing something special about each member of our family. By the end of the week we each had a very special valentine.

4 comments:
I love these ideas! I'm going to have to remember them for our family!
I remember when you did the Valentine activity. I thought it was great. Thanks for the reminder. I'm going to have to steal your idea. And, as you saw on my blog, I, too, had to relive the glory of days of teaching, by turning my kiddos into leprachauns. Never gets old for me!(:
Looks like you guys have soooo much fun! I love pulling out ideas from my teaching days, to do as a family! First grade ideas are way more fun than mine from 3rd and 4th...Your boys are just so cute!
I love that idea! Really cute and great self-esteem building too.
Post a Comment