Warning: Tyler pictures overkill ahead
Well, Monday was the big day...Tyler started kindergarten. I have been dreading this day for years now. I just wasn't quite ready for my baby to grow up, and starting kindergarten feels like the starting of him leaving. I also REALLY hate that we have full day kindergarten here (don't get me started on that topic...it gets my blood boiling), but it is what it is and I can't change it (although I can check him out everyday at noon :) )
Preparations for the big day started the week before when we went to our "meet the teacher night." We arrived at the school and found the lists of classes and teachers posted on the doors. I scrolled down the list and found Tyler's name listed under the teacher that I had hoped for. I then checked the list again for Ava's name. Certainly they were in the same class, right?! Jen and I had requested it months ago, but Ava's name was not on the same list. After a quick scan, I found Ava's name listed in another class. I was stunned. I tryed to gather my senses as we headed off for Tyler's classroom. I guess I had always envisioned Tyler's first day and first school year to be one shared with his best friend. It was like in those three minutes I had to re-work the whole image I had set up in my mind for how things would go. Needless to say, kids are way more reselient that we are. Ty seemed totally fine with it.
We walked into the school and I was flooded with emotions- excitement, anxiety, and nostalgia. After teaching first grade for a number of years, this was the first time I was experiencing it all from "the other" perspective. It was like walking down memory lane as I peeked into various classrooms and watched nervous children and teachers meet for the first time. As I looked around Tyler's classroom, I had a deep appreciation for how many hours went into setting up bulletin boards, arranging desks, organizing supplies, creating lesson plans, carefully considering rules and routines, typing up letters, and so on and so on.
Tyler was very cute- obvously nervious, which is quite amazing. It takes a lot to rattle this little guy's nerves. He found his desk and checked out the classroom and politely (and nervously) shook hands with his new teacher.
Sunday night finally rolled around and it was finally time to prepare for our big day. John gave Ty a sweet and simple Father's blessing and a quick pep talk. We each had one assignment for the first day. John wanted Tyler to learn the names of three friends in his class and report back to him that evening. I told Tyler I wanted him to listen very carefully to everything his teacher said...I was afraid that in all of Tyler's enthusiasm and excitement for the day he would drift off and tune out his teacher and miss some important instructions and not know where to sit at lunch or when to come in from recess.
Then we got ready for bed and John helped Tyler choose his clothes and set them out for the next morning. They decided to make a clothes dude, which Ty thought was pretty awesome.

The next morning at 7:00 on the nose, Tyler walked into my bathroom, where I was getting ready, and said very brightly, "Good morning Mommy!" He was all dressed and ready, including his shoes. The tears welled up in my eyes and I realized that this day had really arrived...much to my dismay. We took a few pics and headed off to school!


John decided to go into work late so that he could help drop Tyler off at school for his first day. We survived the chaos in the halls and managed to get Tyler to his classroom. I could sense that Ty was nervous and excited at the same time. Quick hugs and kisses and he was off...and with that, I left my heart at the elementary school.

Knowing that Tyler has been looking forward to this day with much excitement and enthusiasm made leaving him a little easier, but I couldn't help the tears from coming. We rushed out the doors and headed for the car so that Ty nor anyone else for that matter would see me loose it.
I knew it was going to be a loooong 7 hours, so I decided I needed something to keep my mind occupied while Tyler was gone. I set to work trying to create a first day of school tradition for our family. Since I'm all about keeping life simple, I settled on a "First day Hooray" party with a banner that we could pull out each year, along with a hat and a special after school treat.
I'll admit, I couldn't wait until 3:00- I checked the clock a million times. When it was finally time to pick Tyler up, I couldn't wait to see his happy face and hear all about his exciting day. Tyler indeed had an exciting and wonderful first day. He gladly reported that he listened to his teacher and had the names of three new friends. We sat and ate cookies and discussed his new adventure.
After dinner, we continued the celebration with a visit to our favorite frozen yogurt place.


Diabetes or not, we can still celebrate the good old fashioned way... with a hefty sugar buzz!

Side note: after school on his second day, I asked Ty what his favorite part of the day is. He thought about it for a moment and said, "The end." I giggled and then asked him why that is. He told me because he gets to see his mommy and play with his brother and he doesn't have to do any work!
I'm glad to know that he loves school, but has a very realistic and accurate view of the whole situation.
I'm proud of our little man and hope the rest of the year is as successful as the first day seemed to be!
8 comments:
Yea, you made it! I mean he made it! I love his bright, happy smile in every picture! You are such a fun Mom, I am taking notes for improvement on myself!
we make clothes people too! that way they know where everything is and we don't have to search things out. What do you and Robby do all day? I only have half day kindergarten and I can't wait for Cy's playmate to get home, so I can have a break(for a minute or two..)
I had to send my 6 year old to 1st grade all day this year. Kindergarten was only 1/2 day for us, so leaving him all day hit me WAY harder. Your post spoke to my heart. I know how hard it is! Good thing we have amazing children!
What a fun mom you are! Hayden loved the picture of the "clothes dude" so don't be surprised if you see a picture very similar to that on my blog. And I loved your banner, I might just have to copy that too. I would have a very hard time with full day kindergarten, I'm glad I can work into it slowly with 1/2 days this year. So glad he loved school.
Absolutely so adorable. He will do so great. It was great chatting with you the other day.
Love the First Day, Hooray! tradition. We did that at our house too, only I didn't have a fancy banner - just wrote it on a napkin. Maybe I should try making a banner. :) Very cute! I can't believe your little kindergartener is gone all day! That's a long time! Cute kids, Carrie! And you look great btw!
You nailed it: leaving your heart at the school. That's exactly how it feels. My friend's husband thought moms cry when their kids go to school because they're so proud and excited for the new adventure, but I set him straight: it's because you're leaving your heart at the school and going home. And it hurts! But it gets easier each day, even if it's still sad every morning for just a minute that he's gone and in somebody else's hands for 8 hours.
i just sat down to blog about Ava's first day and just want to copy and paste everything you said and switch out 'Tyler' with Ava... I will never forget the look on your face when I saw you right after we realized that our babies weren't in the same class... it's like we had an hour long conversation with only a glace. Thanks for your therapy session that morning over the phone... I KNOW I couldn't have done the day without you!! And knowing Tyler's at least in the same school as Ava is a little better.
LOVE the picture of Tyler's big blues peeking over the top of the kindergarten sign! He gets more handsome by the day! Lucky little Ava! ;)
Post a Comment