After I posted my last post with the story about Robby going low at the pool, I read this post on a fellow diabetes mom's blog- love you, Meri!!! My heart ached to read a similar story about a kid who should just be allowed to be a kid and a mom who just wants to provide that opportunity for her son...and of course, both our stories involve a "crap on a stick" kind of number like 52.
Blogging is fantastic because it opens up a world of communities that can offer support and compassion for shared experiences. Meri (who happens to have 3 diabetic sons, by the way) has networked dozens of "D-moms." Reading their stories of highs and lows and of stressful, sleepless nights helps me know that someone else out there "gets it." When I receive an email or comment from one of them, the compassion and empathy is deep. No one can really know what it's like to be in this situation, unless they're living it themselves. Plus, I can't tell you how lucky I am to ask for advice on basal rates, pump sites, breakfast spikes, and diabetes supplies and get real life, tried and true responses! I experienced this same kind of support from the adoption community, and I still enjoy reaching out to fellow adoptive moms and families in that sphere as well. Blessings come in all shapes and sizes...or even in the form of html.
...oh, and I'm pretty sure that the last three lines of Meri's post are words I utter in prayer almost daily. Thanks, Meri.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I'm glad you have those blog friends who are going through the same thing. I feel like crap on a stick for the email I sent you when you first found out. Seeing kids at school after years of dealing with it is way different than what you're going through now.
((HUGS)) to you Carrie! There is nothing better than reading the blog of someone who "gets it." With you, I SO get it friend. When it comes to type 1, the smaller the babies are, the harder their numbers fall! (And the higher they fly too!.) It's a roller coaster for sure!
Much love to you and your family!
Post a Comment