In reference to the previous post, someone asked me the other day, "so how many carbs are in 7 grapes and how much insulin does it take to cover 7 grapes?"
Here's your answer:
Grapes are approximately 1 gram of carbs each. Having used my kitchen scale to weigh a small handful of grapes on more than one occasion, I've learned that 1 grape=1 carb, or close enough. In carb counting, we've gotten really good at guessing.
So, in the morning hours from 7:00am-9:30am when he is highly glycemic sensitive, it would take quite a bit more insulin to cover 7 grapes. During these hours, one unit of insulin (or his IC...insulin to carb ration) is 1 unit of insulin for every 50 carbs, so it would take about .33 units of insulin.
in the afternoon from about 9:30-3:00, it would take only about .15 units of insulin
and from 3:00pm- 10:00pm, it would take .24 units of insulin to cover 7 grapes.
...unless his BG is already above 200 when he eats the grapes, then you'd have to factor in his correction ratio. Yep. One more equation to mess with, one more thing to consider, and yes, it is also a different ratio at different times of the day (and night).
This is my life, people, this is my life.
(and I have to admit, I am very grateful that his insulin pump does all the math for me. Before we got on the pump those first few weeks of figuring this out with my own little brain about killed me).

9 comments:
Oh my GOSH! Carrie. That is insane. Thank goodness we know stuff like this. I assume diabetics just died 100 years ago?
Carrie, you amaze me! What a good mom you are. Your boys are lucky to have you to love them, care for them, and figure out all that tricky math. You deserve an honorary degree as a dietician:) And how you do it without getting frazzled and lose your temper I'll never know!
I've actually been trying to teach myself more about diabetes and healthy eating. Carbs and sugars etc. Are there any books you'd recommend? I'd love to learn more.
you are supermom!
'nuff said.
And what I'm grateful for? Cellphones. So I won't have to do all the math when I'm watching Gus.
Once again, you amaze me. AND another perk? You sound super smart.
{{Sidenote: In my reader I saw your post then the title "Canteloupe" and I thought "Oh no... what happened!" I was glad my eyes deceived me and it was for a different blog. Phew... that would have been a good story though!}}
The worst is when the boys come home and have their hands on the
grapes before I can get to them.
"How many grapes did you just eat??"
"I don't know like 5 or 10."
AHH! Big difference!
We have concidered changing our last name to "Guessers."
Wow! Yeah, I have no trouble believing that those first few weeks were stressful and crazy with figuring it all out. Sounds like you guys have a good grasp now, even Tyler. Hope all is well!
Oh Carrie...I so know what you mean when you say, "This is my life"! I think so many important things have been crowded out of my brain by more important keep my child alive details...like carb counts and insulin...
Post a Comment