I'm slow to update this blog, but I wanted to post a few pics from our JDRF Walk to Cure Diabetes, even though it was a few weeks ago.
But first, thanks to everyone for your support. We surpassed our fundraising goal and are so very grateful for family and friends who donated to our cause. Our Chick-fil-A event was also a huge success. It was so great to see so many people come out to show their love and support for little Robby. I was truly touched.
The actual walk was great. Tyler was given my Garmin watch and foot pod and was in charge of tracking our pace and distance. I think it kept him engaged and entertained. Robby rode most of the way in the wagon and seemed to be content to take it all in.

3/4 of the way through the walk, the boys found this tree with all it's horizontal limbs and just couldn't resist, so we climbed trees for about 15 minutes, which was fine by us. At about that same time we met up with our friends, the Porters, who also have a son with Type 1 Diabetes.

It was nice to spend some time walking with them. Quinten was very cute to Robby. I could tell that he understood and appreciated the bond that they share and I'm sure he feels proud to be a positive role model for Robby. I love how cute he is trying to crouch down in the picture to be right next to Robby. Sweet.
Toward the end of the walk, I saw two little babies (each one no older than 10-12 months old), one had a back pack strapped to his tiny little back which held his insulin pump and the other had a pocket sewn directly onto the back of her little onesie to hold hers. My heart sank. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to manage this disease in an infant that young. I had a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes as I considered the constant worry those mothers face all day, every day. It really hit home and reminded me why we were all out there walking that morning.
Toward the end of the walk, I saw two little babies (each one no older than 10-12 months old), one had a back pack strapped to his tiny little back which held his insulin pump and the other had a pocket sewn directly onto the back of her little onesie to hold hers. My heart sank. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to manage this disease in an infant that young. I had a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes as I considered the constant worry those mothers face all day, every day. It really hit home and reminded me why we were all out there walking that morning. Again, thanks for your support. It was an awesome experience.

No comments:
Post a Comment