Goodness! I'd better blog about the first day of school before Halloween arrives!
Tyler started second grade this year. Sunday night before school started, we had a special back to school dinner. I didn't expect anyone to appreciate my efforts, but still wanted them to know that I thought the first day of school is a big deal. To my surprise, the boys were excited and grateful for a "fancy dinner."
Monday morning this second grader was ready to go.
When he started kindergarten everyone told me it would get easier every year to let him go. I disagree. I still find myself leaving the school with a lump in my throat and the rest of the day wondering how he's doing. The only thing that made it easier is that there was less uncertainty. He knows what to expect and so do I...and we're both excited as well.
After school, we celebrated with our annual "first day hooray" party, complete with m&m's and cookies (I started a new tradition where Tyler gets an m&m for every detail he shares with me about his day. I am not above bribing in order to get the facts. He's a boy, he doesn't like to share, but he does love food. I know how to work the system.
And then after dinner we head to our favorite frozen yogurt place for more celebrations.
Now that it's October and we are well into the school year, I can say that it has been a fantastic one so far. He has a wonderful teacher and some good friends. Last year was a bit rocky (he was in a rough class, which we moved him out of half way through the year) so we were grateful for a positive experience after that one.
Tyler loves school. He is smart and a fast learner and he genuinely loves learning. He thinks library day is about the best day of the week because he gets new books and he's recently discovered the joy of participating in the running club.
Tyler is such a great kid. As much as I hate letting him go and grow up, I love watching him learn and mature. I sure love who he is and who he is becoming.

1 comment:
I cry every first day. You're not alone.
I love your M&M's idea! Why won't my boys tell me what happens at school? It's always "I don't remember" and "I don't know." Ugh.
Post a Comment