(not it to be the guy who owns this beauty)
Well, if you want an update of the bike race on Saturday, you'll have to check out Jen's blog since she was actually there (way to go Jen and Shayne).
We didn't quite make it. Here's the sad story-
Thursday night we headed out for a ride at the race track, had a great ride, and headed home. That's when we pulled into the garage....with the bikes still on the roof rack. My stomach seriously lurched when I heard the terrible sound and realized what we had just done.
At first glance my bike looked fine and John's looked done. Yes, I cried a little. Granted, our bikes are about 5 years old with lots of miles on them, but they are still in good shape, and they're the only ones we have. New road bikes are out of the question right now. So in that instant, I saw all of our summer riding plans go down the drain.
After further inspection, we discovered that minus a few scratches and even a small dent (good thing the frame is steel and not carbon or aluminum), the only major thing broken was the front fork. We replaced the fork Friday and put the bike back together Friday night in preparation for our Saturday event. Turns out, the bike store gave us the wrong size fork, so John was once again out of the event.
My plans were to continue without him. I figured I'd go ride the 20 miles with Jen or crank out the 40 miles alone since I didn't have to worry about a baby sitter. And then I threw out all ambition Saturday morning when the alarm clock went off at 5:30 and it was raining and cold.
Oh well, maybe next time!
Now we just gotta replace the load trays on the Thule rack, put a little paint on the garage, and smooth out a few dents on the roof of the car, but I'm pretty sure that's one mistake we'll NEVER make again!!!


12 comments:
oh man, SUCH a bummer! my sister actually did that...TWICE. thousands in car/garage repair and replacing their bikes...twice. i'm bummed for you! an entire summer with no bikes?!
ya'll were surely missed...
but I'm glad that the damage (and tears) were actually quite minimal. Is this topic of discussion still closed off with John? I just need to know my limits! :( That would have been SO sad if ya'll were out for the summer!
Oh man! My sister did that once...so sad!
Don't do that to me! I saw the bent up bike and instantly thought the worst!Sorry about all the damage, but I am relieved you are both ok.
Yikes. I kinda did that with the back of our truck topper open and went under the carport. I can still hear that sound. Shudder.
Glad you're ok - I first thought about a crash when I saw the picture and had a stomach lurch. :/
When I first glanced at your post (and noted the date) I thought it was an April Fool's joke. So sad that it's not! We've had a few of those "I'll never do THAT again" mistakes. Hope you guys can get back on the road soon!
Nice to find your blog!
That mangled mess is actually rideable now??? I can't beleive you were able to fix it...I can just imagine how sick to your stomach you were to see that!
Hey! You run, bike AND adopt. Also, you are Mormon.
Wanna be my neighbor!? I could use a marathon training partner.
That is a sad story, indeed. I was thinking, though, that it happened while someone was on it. Sure glad that wasn't the case! I'm happy for you guys that it's fixed and you'll be riding all summer long...
carrie, this is mrs. r. when you have a second, will you send me an email? i have something that i want to ask you ...but comments is not the best place to do it.
THANKS!
therhouse@gmail.com
C
I was just going to email you with a whole bunch of biking questions, and then saw this. Ouch. Insert "Wah, Wah, Wah, Waaaaah."
Ok, Carrie...do I need to tell you to put down the laundry? Where are you? I'm checking!
Post a Comment