I was thrilled several months ago when one of my friends in the ward decided to teach preschool in her home. She only lives a few streets over, so it's nice and close, but more importantly, I know Tyler will have a great time and he's only gone for three hours twice a week. All of the other programs in the area only offer 5 hours twice a week. I'm just not okay with him being gone for that long at this age.
So on Monday night for Family Home Evening, we decided to establish traditions and patterns of worship in our home by starting the school year with a father's blessing. John knew the blessing would be short, sweet, and simple and he did a great job at that. It was simple enough that Tyler could understand most of it. I say that because he blessed Tyler with a sharp mind as he learned new things. After the blessing, I asked Tyler what he remembered from the prayer. He said, "Daddy blessed me to be a shark boy!" Hmmmm...sharp mind/ shark boy. Somehow that got lost in translation, but you can imagine how hard we both laughed at this little misunderstanding. Maybe we jumped the gun on this family tradition, but oh well!
So Tuesday was his first day. I was a little sad when I dropped him off, but then I got SOOO much done (sewed two curtain panels for the baby's room), that I got over it pretty quick. When I picked him up, I was so impressed with everything that he could tell me that they did and learned. 
It's an exciting time for him and I have to keep reminding myself of that whenever I get bummed that he's taking his first steps away from his mommy.
Then Wednesday night, John decided it was time to try out the little "tag along" bike he bought for Tyler almost a year ago. He's been waiting a long time for Tyler to grow into this thing, and he's made a few plans to do some events (short ones) with Tyler "tagging along" next spring, so I guess it was time to start the training.
I was sooooo nervous watching them pedal away. He's so high off the ground and really has to hold on tight for balance, but when they returned from their bike ride, Tyler was all smiles and spoke very enthusiastically about the ride. He seemed to really like it and has asked to ride again soon. So I call it a success- no bumps, bruises, or broken bones (don't you love this picture of his bright pink, sweaty face? And of course, he's holding the water bottle that he had to have filled up just like daddy's for the ride).
I'm so proud of Tyler and all of his many firsts. He's growing up quickly and it really does tear me apart knowing that each new first, as exciting as it may be, is taking him one step closer to independence- or one step closer to not needing his mommy anymore. I know, I'm sappy, but I can't help it! He is such a source of joy and happiness in my life. I really do love being with him. I love watching him learn, I love hearing what he has to talk about, I love observing him trying new things. He makes me laugh all the time and he's so incredibly sweet. I don't think there is a day that goes by when I don't think of how blessed I am to have such a darling, sweet boy.

5 comments:
Isaac starts his first preschool next week. I wish I had found something like you did for when he was three, but I had just moved and didn't know anybody, so he stayed home with me for his three-year-old year. Tyler is going to be so smart. He looks like such a big boy!
that tag-a-long thing is awesome!! And you can't beat an enthused sweaty pink face! SUCH a big boy!!
I told my friend about "shark boy" this morning.(:
I would have been a nervous wreck watching my kid on the tag along--a big wheel is pushing it for me! Pretty cool though. Way to go, Tyler!
That's all awesome! I wonder if I could get one of those tag alongs for Tug.
FREEDOM! It's great to see them grow and I'm sending you an air hug for the moments you miss him. After I dropped off all three at preschool on Monday, I turned up the radio as loud as I could in the car. It's a new chapter in life.
Post a Comment