I've been thinking a lot about friendship lately and the impact that so many of my friends have had on my life. Through blogging, I've been reconnected with many friends from my childhood. I've been impressed and inspired by who they have become. They were good examples when I was young and continue to be good examples now.
During my early married years, while serving in the RS presidency, the Lord once again placed great friends in my life. These friends helped me through some difficult times, but also helped me have some serious fun. One night Lynette called me to go out to a movie. It just so happened that I was in the middle of infertility treatments and John was out of town. I told her I could go as long as she was willing to come and give me my shot in the bum. She handled that needle like a pro! (a little scary if you ask me).
I still keep in touch with "my girls"- (the other teachers that I taught first grade with). I don't know if I ever would have survived teaching without them. Penny always knew how to cheer everyone up with a "girl's sleep-over" at her cabin, Arlene could brighten my day with a simple piece of chocolate being thrown at my head in the middle of a math lesson, Lisa was a great listener and always had good advice, and Jaimi- let's just say she and I went to the same infertility doc, had the same adoption case worker, taught next door to each other, and each adopted our babies within six months of each other- coincidence? I think not!
I've also been so grateful for the friends that the Lord has placed in my life since we moved here to Texas. Last week, John was out of town so Kristina and Jen ditched book club to spend an evening with me. I loved and appreciated their company. They always know just what I need (typically good food and a lot of laughs)!
The Lord has very carefully place each of these people (and many, many others) in my life during very specific times to meet my very specific needs. What a blessing!
I was reading in the New Testament in John 1:43-51. Jesus goes into Galilee and finds Phillip. He says to Phillip, "Follow me." Phillip then goes to find his friend Nathanael. He tells him that Jesus, who was prophesied to come, is here. Nathanael then asks if anything good can come from Nazareth. Phillip says, "Come and see."
I picture these two as being old friends- the kind that have grown up together, studied together, worked together, and played together (that's just gospel according to Carrie). But I love that when Phillip finds Christ, he wants nothing more then for his friend to also see Jesus. His loving, inviting words to his friend, "Come and see" have been in my mind as I have thought of all the ways my friends over the years have invited me to "Come and see."
I have been so blessed during every stage of my life to have had friends who have led me to Christ simply because of the way they chose to live their lives. The Lord knows that I am the type of person that NEEDS friends, and in some cases I have literally prayed them into my life (but that story is for another post). I am so grateful for the friends that He has placed along my path who have uplifted, inspired, taught, supported, and cared for me, and who have ultimately invited me to “come and see.”
Wednesday, February 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
that's the sweetest post ever! it brought tears to my eyes. i'm rediscovering how important friends are in my life. good friends are such a blessing.
Awww, Carrie! Are you trying to make me cry? Seriously, you gave me a lump in my throat. I love you and that needle was nothing! If anything, knowing you has helped me "Come and see" Christ by the way you live your life. Thank you.
I would "comment," but I currently have a lump in my throat...
Ok, composure--I was just commenting to a friend today how humbled I feel as I witness the love and support I receive from my friends. Thanks for being one of those friends! Heavenly Father definitely places people in our lives doesn't he?
I loved the post... I don't know what I'd do without my friends. YOU being one of the lucky ones. I seriously think I am one of the reasons you guys moved to Texas. You have been a Godsent to me! You have blessed my life so much and I can't hardly believe that I have found a friend that I instantly re-bonded with. I really didn't think it was possible after you got married to find a girlfriend that you just click with... because I hadn't yet. I, Ava, Nolan and Shayne thank you for moving here - because we all know I'm a better person for it!
{sorry bout the mush, it is Valentine's Day though...so, that's my out!}
That was very eloquent and beautiful. Thank you. I didn't like it here until I met you and Jen :).
:) Thanks toot-buddy!
I'm just a little bitter that I didn't get to give you a shot in the bum when you needed it!!
Post a Comment