Monday, February 4, 2008

Running


(This picture is from my happier running days)



The other day John told me I should post something about my running (glad I have at least one reader our there).


So here it is honey.....

DEFEATED!!!



That's how I feel about my running these days. My Cowtown half marathon goal has been demoted to the Cowtown 10k. About 4 weeks ago, I came down with an upper respiratory infection. Dear old doc told me not to run until I was done with the antibiotic and not to run outside in the cold until I stopped coughing (many of you won't believe me, but yes, it does get cold in Texas). My treadmill and I have become dear friends, but I gotta draw the line somewhere. I don't do more than an hour on that thing- the boredom will kill you! Fast forward 4 weeks and I'm still coughing like a smoker! Arrrrrg, what is up with that? To make matters worse, my knee injury from last year's half marathon is starting to flare up again.

And all the while I'm running, I think to myself, "I'd rather be on my bike."

So there you have it. That's how my running is going. Thank goodness biking season is on its way!



Oh and did I mention that when I do run outside, I push my 43lb kid in our 40lb jogging stroller? He is my most loyal running buddy (since two months old), but seriously, when is he old enough to ride his bike along side me for 5 miles? Is that too much to ask of a three year old? I'm only half way joking.

5 comments:

Emily said...

bummer dude. i'm very sorry about your goal. there are always other half marathons i suppose...

there's a kid and his mom who i always see together in draper, the kid rides (he's probably between 10 and 13) while she runs. i think it's neat. and if you run as slow as i do, he should have no problem keeping up...!

Ammon said...

uh, that didn't sound like defeat. more like dedication! by the way, i've got the same smoker's cough and it's been lingerin' for way too long!

Kelly said...

I would love to get into running again. I can't even make it an hour on the treadmill. 45 min for me :) That is the cutest pic.

Arlene said...

I'm just glad you're not riding the Alpine Loop anymore. You gave me a lot of gray hairs when you did that.

Maybe it's the AIR where you live! Oh wait, I have it too. :/

Danalin said...

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond...I am so excited to be back in touch with you! Of course I don't mind you linking my blog.

Tyler is SO big! What a cute, cute little man. They grow up so darn fast. I've been up since about 4 am because I was having contractions, but sadly they have subsided. Now I can't get back to sleep. I'll have to go get on my elliptical or something and see if I can get them going again.

I am so impressed with all of your running and biking abilities! Tyler and I competed in two triathlons last summer and are doing a few more this summer. But my big stretch this year is that I've decided to run a half marathon! Ack! I am really nervous; I don't really love to run. I'll have to get advice and supportive words from you when I start training. Okay, so maybe this should have been an e-mail and not a 'comment'...oh well. I'm just excited to be back in touch!